Many of us are finding it hard to maintain our mental health wellbeing during the lockdown. Here are few tips to help yourself cope with this pandemic situation.
Focus on your body:
- Make sure that you have a balanced routine. Go to bed and wake up at the same time every day. Sleep at least six to seven hours.
- Eat fresh and homemade food to stay healthy. Avoid eating processed foods. Drink sufficient water to keep hydrated.
- Practise some form of breathing exercise. Open your windows at least for five minutes a day to bring in fresh air into the house. Make sure it is safe to do so. Listen to this five minute podcast on breathing exercise - https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/podcasts/stress-and-relaxation-quick-fix...
- Movement is essential to remain pain free and to maintain our body weight. Try some form of exercise for five minutes. You could dance to your favourite music or try chair yoga. You may go out for a walk if it is safe to do so.
- Be mindful – pay attention to the present moment usually by focussing on your breath or any sensation in your body. You may want to watch this video on mindful eating - https://youtu.be/aZ-fp6qws8Q
Focus on activities:
- Work on your hobbies or try a new activity to keep challenge your brain. You could try painting or learn to play a musical instrument.
- Try cooking simple new recipes – this will help you to be healthy and mindful. You could share your experience of cooking to others or share the recipe to others.
- Watch comedy movies with some hot chocolate and a cosy blanket in this winter. Avoid watching the news all the time.
- Listen to an audiobook or some interesting podcasts of your choice.
Focus on your environment:
- Stay in touch with your friends and family. If there are restrictions to meeting them face to face, then you could do this online instead. Fix a time to speak to your family and friends. You could plan to talk about something you have watched, read or listened.
- Keep your home clean and organised. Choose one area at a time or you could try the KonMari Method - https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/organizing/a25846191/what-is-the-k...
- Get outside for a walk if you can and only if it is safe to do. Observe the nature. Listen to the sound of birds chirping. Feel the fresh air.
If you want more information on this, take a look at this fantastic page Mind has put together focussing on wellbeing during the pandemic: https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/coronavirus/coronavirus-and-your-wellbeing/